Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Best...meatloaf...ever!

I know, I know. Meatloaf doesn't inspire poems or songs or hymns to its greatness. It's generally a way to get rid of old meat, stale bread, eggs that have been sitting too long. And that's how I started= we are moving in a week! and our cabinets need to be emptied. But I wanted it to be delicious, too... so I looked on Epicurious and found:

Old-Fashioned Meatloaf
http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Old-Fashioned-Meat-Loaf-11676

The reviews were hilarious, mostly because most of the cooks somehow added bacon to this lusty mix of egg, ground pork and beef. I modified the recipe only slightly (no scallions, 2 lbs meat instead of 2.25lbs), and cooked it for exactly an hour. It took awhile for me- I'm not going to lie- because of the chopping and the sauteeing on the cooktop first, and then the mixing, but it was well worth the results. Katie came over for dinner and took leftovers home! I was proud.

The other meals this week will be a Nice Roasted Chicken and this delicious sounding salad:
Sizzling Halloumi Cheese with Fava Beans and Mint
http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Sizzling-Halloumi-Cheese-with-Fava-Beans-and-Mint-238258
The only flaw here is that I can't find Halloumi cheese in grocery stores or on FreshDirect, so I went with the Internet's recommendation for a substitute- Queso Fresco. I have no idea how it's going to taste or hold up to the cooking process, but if it fails, it will be a big one.

Since the movers will be packing up all of our kitchen equipment except for the bare bones, this is the last real week of meals until we get settled in the new place. I'm looking forward to eating all of our favorite NY restaurant food on paper plates next week: Ethiopian from Abyssinia on 135th, soul food from Amy Ruth's on 116th, sushi from Charlie's Place (125th and Madison), and falafel from Habibi's. We will really miss having such a selection of ethnic and delicious foods nearby. Sigh. There's always something.

No comments:

Post a Comment