It was another somewhat tumultuous week so a little more toned down and much more homestyle this week... finally the weekend came and I was so ready to cook. The first two recipes are from the weekend. I don't know what it is about the food at the hospital, but good god am I happy to be home and eating decent food. It's not just that the food's bad (and aside from a few things at breakfast, it is horrible), but the fact that it is served with complete distaste/hate for your fellow human beings makes it somehow worse. The angriest people I have ever met work in that cafeteria. I smile and try to be really nice, and that gets me somewhere sometimes, but I swear most of the people that work there are being beaten in the back or are actively doing hard time. The worst meal made with love can taste great, there is no love in that place. Anyway, I was happy to be at home and have a chance to cook a couple decent meals this weekend with music and happiness all around.
Grilled Indian-style salmon with roasted cauliflower and salad
- Salmon with a ginger/garam masala/cumin marinade broiled and served with raita - a yogurt based sauce with cucumber, onion and cilantro along with cauliflower roasted with chili powder and garlic with a fresh salad with pears and lemon vinagrette to cool things off...
- checked out a new butcher down the street - won't be back, but not because the meat wasn't good, it's just not happy meat. But some lime and cayenne and cumin on the steak for an hour while the squash and cilantro and onion mix was prepared --> gimme some cheese with a hot tortilla and a beer and we're all done! Erin was out of town so I had all the tacos I could stuff to myself!
Classic hamburgers and roasted veggies with sweet potato fries
- Hamburgers marinated with a little garlic-hot sauce, thyme, and salt and pepper served on Challah bread; we roasted the carrots, brussel sprouts, zucchini and peppers with oregano, cayenne and a bit of cardamom in olive oil to spice it up a bit
Eggplant, red pepper and squash ratatouille with meat sauce
- Roasted the veggies and then added the browned ground beef left over from the hamburgers with a basil-tomato sauce and broiled with a parmesan-bread crumb crust on top - Erin liked it better with pasta
Quesadillas - the veggie version
- crooked yellow neck squash with onion and garlic sauteed for a bit before assembling with cheese and voilla!
Homemade coleslaw, potato salad and hot dogs
- Erin had a hankering for this after a day in the park on the weekend, so to whole foods we went... she made a great homemade mayonnaise to go with the potato salad and the shredded coleslaw and happy hot dogs were great for a Sunday afternoon dinner