Thursday, September 22, 2011

Pizza update

Finally a pizza worthy of the name:
I had tried so many times to make decent pizza at home - my own crust, I have a solid pizza stone, all to no avail until tonight!

This dough was from Fresh Direct - a solid crust. Rolled it out instead of tossing this time... and did so on baking paper with a bit of flour to avoid the tragic transfer to the hot stone that has happened far too many times.
Grilled sausage, onions, peppers, added some zucchini to one with some fresh mozzarella. The key I think to the success of this near perfect pizza was pre-heating the stone to 500 degrees for at least 30 minutes - so it was roasting hot before the pizza ever got near it. The transfer went perfectly - used the parchment paper to transfer and then tore it off from underneath so the pizza just laid there - it can withstand that kind of heat. Oh how the crust bubbled perfectly, the cheese oozed and then browned and the toppings settled. I cannot explain how happy I am to finally have mastered the art of pizza making at home!

No comments:

Post a Comment