Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Samosas

This week is going to be fragmented... so I'm gonna post things one at a time. First, samosas. Sadly, in my haste to get them going after work, I hastily put them together without searching for the recipe that I have made that has turned out superbly in the past... I had wanted to blow some Indian minds at work. Another day.

For dough:

2 cups plain flour

3 tbsp. melted ghee

salt to taste

For filling:

1 cup cauliflower

2 cups potatoes boiled

6-7 green chillies (use less unless want mouth to hate you)

1 tsp. ginger grated

1 tsp. panchphoran

1/2 tbsp. coriander finely chopped

1/2 tsp. amchoor (dried mango) powder

1/2 tsp. garam masala

1/4 tsp. turmeric

salt to taste

1/2 tbsp. raisins

1 tbsp. cashew pieces

3-4 pinches asafoetida


No indeed - instead, I made them without the turmeric, raisins, cashews, asafoetida, panchporan or cauliflower. So they turned out a bit too spicy yet plain at the same time. Disappointing given the raving success of the prior try. That's what I get for rushing. These were still solid however and I will add that the accompanying lentils were divine!


Used red lentils - some sort of dal - butter and oil to brown the lentils, then added cumin, tomatoes (stewed), pepper and cooked some more, then just keep adding water and covering until the consistency that you want - about 30 mins for soft, mushy lentils. Soooo good!


No comments:

Post a Comment